Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Meanwhile....

My dad had been diagnosed with the beginning stages of Alzheimers the previous summer. 
Things were getting increasingly worse.  On new years my grandmother broke her hip and had it replaced twice in the next couple of weeks.  She never really got better. 
By Valentine's Day, I flew to California to say "Goodbye."  She had lost so much strength and will, she wouldn't eat and couldn't talk.  At first, I thought I might surprise her, but her conditioned worsened before I got there.  I told my Mom, "Tell her I am coming, give her something new to be excited about."  That did the trick.  She leveled out, but still not in great shape.
The first day I saw her, she looked up, her eyes fluttered, then she winked and mouthed "I love you."  I nearly lost my cool.  But she had been a rock for me in my life and now it was my turn.  She looked so frail, so vulnerable.
I spent the afternoon feeding her, holding her hand and trying to share some trivial info about my new job, location and such.  She finally fell asleep.  So I left for the day.
The next day, she was visually improved.  She started making sounds and ate quite a bit more than the previous day.  In general, she was more responsive.   I was building hope, but knew it would be a long road ahead.  She lasted a little longer before falling asleep.  I would come back tomorrow.
The next day, she was even better!  She fed herself and she gobbled it down!  It was such a huge relief!  I can't take all the credit, but it sure reminded me how the love between family members is a powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment